Sunday, March 15, 2009

Jake's Cabin

Jake has been begging me to build him a "shack" for about a year now. He became interested after watching the ferry workers in ticket booths, thought their space looked just about right for his needs as a 9 year old introvert.

It continued from the ferry booths, to latte stands, sheds outside Home Depot, etc. He'd say - "Dad, if that building was about half the size, it would be perfect for my shack!".

He very specifically wanted a small footprint; enough space for a small desk, chair, some shelves, and that's it. Originally he was hoping to have his shack near the road, with a window to sell candy to passerby's. That got vetoed by Mom and Dad, sorry Jake.

Then, I got the idea to use logs, since we were clearing the back yard out a bit anyway (always extra downed trees around our place, Lord knows...). So we started last Friday, with the revised Log Cabin project:

A couple logs, nestled outside the back door under a cedar tree..






Most of the work was done last Saturday and Sunday, but I have to tell you, Jake is a slave driver. He was frustrated that I wouldn't work past dark (midnight, to use his term), and every day of the week, after work, he'd ask what the plan was for the cabin.
To be fair, it's an exciting project for me too, but I have been surprised at Jake's dedication. We finished the electricity yesterday, after a day of troubleshooting tripped GFI outlets (I wired the light switch backwards)... Here's Jake at his desk, sometime before "midnight".



We just need to finish the back window, and fill the cracks a bit, and then we're done! Although, Jake REALLY wants me to add a stone fireplace out the back of the cabin. Or if not, can he take the electric space heater out there? Please Dad!?!...



5 comments:

Silas said...

Wow, I guess you just blew away the competition for this years Best Dad award! What a great idea, reminds me of that PBS special they play all the time about Dick Proenneke's cabin up in Alaska.

The Guyser Family said...

that's awesome!!! can't believe you've done so much in a week!

Gail said...

Wow, guys! I am very impressed. I can see how Jake would love his little space in the world. I am glad you two (Toby and Jake) got to do such a fun project together. The cabin looks great. Can't wait to see it this summer!

Janet said...

Jake That is very impressive, you will make a great house some day for your wife and kids. Keep up the good work. We're looking forward to seeing this project in person.
grampa

Anonymous said...

Is there enough room in the cabin for Auntie Sharon to sit and have a cup of coffee??? That's the most important question! It looks absolutely darling. I think it needs a little wood stove.....
Auntie Sharon