Monday, April 2, 2007

Pet Peeve's

In fourth grade, I had Ms. Bailey for English. I remember a couple things about her class, one was a list of "taboo" words that we were supposed to avoid using in writing and conversation. The hardest one for me to avoid was "got", because it seemed so formal to skip. "Do you happen to have a pencil I could borrow?" was a bit to stuffy for a fourth grader, compared to "Have you got a pencil?"

One day we had a brainstorming exercise about "pet peeve's", Ms. Bailey asked us to think of a few little things that really bug us in life, and we'd go around the class sharing them.

I racked my brain, but could not think of a single thing I would call a pet peeve. I had nothing.

Ever since, though, I realized how many I really do have, and probably once a week I think of a new one and wish I could go back to fourth grade and share it as an example. Socks with holes in them, having to backtrack on a road trip, pop that's lost it's fizz, inturruptions while rading aloud, pebble's (or anything) in shoes, dropped cell phone calls, etc, etc, etc.

So, to carry on with Carol's "questions for the blog", I invite you to contribute a few of your own pet peeves - no pressure, don't draw a blank!

Toby

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carol,
Thanks for your comment:) Now that I am feeling better as well I will be more together with the blog thing. So pet peeves....I would have to say one of the biggest right now is that it seems no one reads signs anymore (or maybe they never did). In which case why do we have so many? Stop signs for example seem to be a thing of the past:) Yield signs seem equally pointless if no one bothers to read them.

Laurie and Alan said...

I'm along the same line with Candace, traffic stuff, mine is.........
PEOPLE WHO REFUSE TO USE THEIR BLINKERS!!!!!!!!!!!
Drives me nuts!
Laurie

carol said...

Here are two of mine:

Having cords all over the place...computer cords, stereo cords, phone cords, battery-charging cords...there are cords everywhere!

Studies and statistics that are manipulated to show what someone wants them to show rather than what they really should.

Aleah said...

- When people or companies use X-mas instead of CHRISTmas.

- Money

Linz said...

I definitely didn't draw a blank on this. I was able to come up with quite a list of pet peeves and that's when I realized maybe it's more like a neurosis!

But I have to say, it really bothers me when little parts inside our car rattle.

Janet said...

Hmmm... after what Lindsey said, I thought I must be very well adjusted when I drew a blank on this.
But alas, a couple annoyances came to mind as I was shopping at Albertsons today. One is deceptive advertising - and the other is the requirement to produce a plastic card (or your phone number) in order to get the sale prices.