Tuesday, February 27, 2007

A Quote for "Those Days"

Today you get a quote:

I long to accomplish a great and noble task but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble.
--Helen Keller

Most days I am fully aware of the nobility of my job. I have never felt like I was contributing less to the world because I don’t have a money-making job. In fact, I think quite the opposite is true. However, there are some days when it’s hard to really see what I have done that day that has any lasting value and it is for those days that I have this quote written down to encourage me.

Those days it seems like I cycle through a bunch of meaningless jobs (clean the kitchen, sweep the floor, wash toothpaste off the bathroom counter, read little engine that could, clean the kitchen again, fix dinner, sweep again, do laundry, roll a ball across the floor a hundred times, sweep up broken glass, apply band-aids, clean kitchen again, and on and on) and never get to the things that actually seem important. Those days Toby comes home and says, “What did you do today” and I say “nothing” and I wonder why I’m so tired when I didn’t do anything all day. Those days I have to remind myself to do the small tasks as if they were great and noble because in God’s eyes, they are – that is what He’s called me to do on those days. Sometimes God asks us to change the world and sometimes He just asks us to take out the garbage. So here’s the lesson: it’s not the task itself, but the Giver of the task that makes it noble.

Off I go to clean up the kitchen...

3 comments:

Laurie and Alan said...

I LOVE that quote! I struggled with this as a young Mom too and sometimes even now as a Nana. I was pondering this very topic yesterday! How am I impacting the world and those around me? What noble thing have I done today? It may not be in big and earth moving ways like the world says is note worthy but in the small and behind the scenes kind of ways. Being a Godly example and being there for our loved ones when they need us.
I'll take that any day!
Carol, thanks for this post I needed to hear it!
Laurie : )

Aleah said...

Great post on what I think every homemaker goes through. I know I do! It was a great reminder, thanks for writing about it!

Now I'm off to clean our kitchen.... ; )

Brazenlilly said...

I'm a s.a.h.mommy too, and I really appreciated your comments and encouragement! Keep up the good WORK.